WVV Climate Resilience Specialist
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject: Location - Your Name - Position
World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization working to improve the quality of life of people, especially children who are marginalized and living in poverty. World Vision (WV) helps all who are in need, regardless of their religion, race, ethnicity or gender. As a child-focused organization, WV’s work focuses on children, ensuring they are protected and their basic needs are met. World Vision International in Vietnam (WVI Vietnam) has been funded 13 support countries in Europe, Asia, the Americas and Australia. Funding of WVI Vietnam consists of sponsorship program funding (70%) and Private Non-Sponsorship (PNS)/grants (30%). WVI Vietnam employs about 430 staff, of which 93% are Vietnamese nationals.
WVI Vietnam is operating in 4 zones: North 1 (Hoa Binh, Dien Bien), North 2 (Yen Bai, Tuyen Quang, Hai Phong), Central (Thanh Hoa, Quang Tri and Da Nang) and South (Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Binh Thuan, Ho Chi Minh, DakNong). WVI Vietnam’s Area Program (AP) usually focuses within one administrative district of a province which populated by ethnic minority people with high rates of poverty. A uniqueness of WVI Vietnam’s Development Program Approach (DPA) is that AP team members are based at district level where the AP is located, which enables them to work closely with government partners and communities on a daily basis. Beside the APs, WVI Vietnam is also implementing different Special and Grant Projects to meet the specific needs of vulnerable children in both AP and non-AP areas.
The purpose of this role is to provide strategic technical support to WVI Vietnam in strengthening Climate Adaptation and Environmental Stewardship with particular emphasis on Environmental degradation and be led in identifying opportunities to influence policy, seek funding and form new partnerships.
1. Provide technical support and build capacity of WVI Vietnam (40%)
• Develop a National Environment and Climate Change action plan that is aligned with Vietnam government commitments.
• Actively work with other departments to ensure that they have internal capacity to activate action plans through the building of internal technical understanding and capacity
• Drive the evolution and development of impact focused program models to enhance the lives of the most vulnerable children and ensure they and their households are more resilient to economic, conflict and climate shocks through strengthened absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacity.
• Utilise and/or refresh mapping of existing Environment and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) programs and projects, support/guide/mentor technical and operational staff to develop strategic directions and implement programs that are in align with Vietnam government commitment
• Build strong strategic alliances with key internal stakeholders within WV’s partnership both regionally and globally on Environment and CCA (e.g. Learning Group).
• Develop capacity statements and case studies to contribute to organizational learning and positioning.
2. Coordinate country engagement and represent WVI Vietnam as CCA technical expert both internal and with external partners (20%)
• Present and promote WVI Vietnam’s Climate Action & Resilience programs to private and institutional donors.
• Be a thought leader to challenge and drive new thinking and action at WVI Vietnam and among local and international stakeholders to identify opportunities to influence policy, seek funding and form new partnerships.
• In cooperation with GAM and Operations, identify funding opportunities, at country or multi country level such as the Mekong Delta.
• Ensure proper coordination among thematic portfolios for the exchange of information and experience, facilitating Climate Change program learning and synthesis across projects: and encourage and support dissemination of research findings at research and policy forums.
3. Showcase WVI Vietnam as a thought leader and technical specialist (20%)
• Conduct policy/strategy dialogue with relevant government officials, UN bodies, organizations, media and development partners in Vietnam on strategies to mainstream climate change mitigation and adaptation in WV programming with a special emphasis on climate change impacts on natural resources.
• Identify and roll out vulnerability measures for CCA impacts on child wellbeing in alignment with WV’s Our Promise 2030 strategy and WVI Vietnam’s strategy for the period 2023-2027.
• Develop position papers to influence donor policies and Vietnam government interventions.
4. Research and Knowledge Management (15%)
• Research and evaluate global and regional promising practices on climate change action.
• Ensure technical quality of programmes/projects, policies, practices, and guidance on climate change action.
• Provide community-centred training on climate change and adaptation to build the capacity of WVI Vietnam.
• Participate in research and analysis that supports relevant technical areas.
5. Security (5%)
• Take responsibility for personal security, accurately identify and assess the dangers and respond in the most appropriate way; take all good faith efforts to keep other WVI VIETNAM staff and property secure with guidance and instruction as being trained by WVI Vietnam.
• Other tasks assigned by the manager to the team performance. (5%)
1. Required Education, training, license, registration, and certification
• Master’s degree and/or higher professional qualifications in Forestry, Environment, Climate Change or relevant field.
2. Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
• Proven track record in securing funding in the field of climate change and adaption, and/or livelihoods.
• Demonstrated leadership and management experience in technical sectoral teams.
• Understanding of resilience building and climate action approaches.
• Ability to appropriately commission, interpret, and apply research and evaluation activities.
• Ability to influence strategies and plans of partners; both WV entities and any external partners.
• At least 5- 8 years’ experience in relief and development work.
• Experience working in developing country/resource-constrained contexts.
• Experience in a program development/business development function.
• Experience in livelihoods and economic development with the poor and marginalised.